I’m A Celebrity’s Aussie counterpart has been axed by Channel 10 after more than a decade, with British stars including Charlotte Crosby, Vicky Pattison and Freddie Flintoff all having taken part
I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! has been abruptly cancelled after more than a decade on air −in Australia.
The Aussie edition of the show, which launched in 2014 and was shot in South Africa rather than Australia, was announced on Friday (May 22) to be retired. The show featured several British celebrities − including Freddie Flintoff and Geordie Shore stars Charlotte Crosby and Vicky Pattison.
The latest series, which broadcast on Channel 10 earlier this year and was hosted by Robert Irwin and Julia Morris, saw radio presenter Concetta Caristo become the Queen of the Jungle. However, on Friday, it was revealed that the programme had been scrapped entirely.
A Channel 10 statement explained, according to the Mirror: “We have made the decision to rest I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! in 2027 as we focus on offering our audience a range of content on all platforms. We look forward to working with Julia Morris and Robert Irwin on other projects.”
The format has been rolled out across numerous nations worldwide, including in the United States. The American edition of the series, proved to be less successful than the UK version as two seasons were broadcast in 2003 and 2009.
A number of famous faces took part at the time, including Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt from The Hills, as well as Melissa Rivers and Caitlyn Jenner, who was known as Bruce Jenner at the time. Following the announcement, presenter Julia said: “I’m A Celebrity and our whole jungle family who make this show have made it the best working experience of my lifetime.
“I have loved every moment and will be forever grateful to Beverley and the whole team at Network 10 for not only believing in this show but nurturing it for 12 years. And to our jungle family watching from home, we love you.”
Robert, who is best known as the son of late Crocodile Hunter legend Steve Irwin and recently won the US version of strictly-come-dancing>Strictly Come Dancing, said: “I want to express what an absolute privilege it has been to work on this show for the past three seasons. I grew up watching this show as so many Aussies do, so to be part of the fantastic team that make this series a reality felt like a dream come true.
“We have had the honour of sharing incredible stories and create a platform to shine a light on amazing charities that our celebrities have supported along the way. And to do it all alongside my co-host, and friend, Julia Morris made it a truly life-changing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.”
After the announcement emerged, numerous UK-based fans flocked to social media to voice their shock, followed by sudden relief, after they initially believed that the British version had been axed. One posted on X: “I cannot tell you the range of emotions I went through until I realised…”
Another commented: “The way I read this thinking I’m a Celebrity fully got cancelled and got scared for a sec,” while a third posted: “The way my heart just stopped.” However, others were equally disappointed upon realising the Australian version wouldn’t be gracing their screens again.
One viewer lamented: “Wow wrong move Channel 10, sorry very disappointing.” While another expressed: “That sucks I really enjoyed watching this show was funny and heart wrenching.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.
By staronline@reachplc.com (Rory Gannon, Jordan Lloyd Beck)
Source link


